Lead Poisoning

Exposure to deteriorated lead based paint and lead poisoning is the number one environmental poison impacting children today. The State of California has stated that " childhood lead exposure represents the most significant childhood environmental health problem in the state today; that too little is known about the prevalence, long -term health care costs, severity, and location of these problems in California; that it is well known that the environment is widely contaminated with lead; that excessive lead exposure causes acute and chronic damage to a child's renal system, red blood cells, and developing brain and nervous system . . . ". (Civil Code, Section 124125) The United States Centers for Disease Control states that "protecting children from exposure to lead is important to lifelong good health. No safe blood lead level in children has been identified. Even low levels of lead in blood have been shown to affect IQ, ability to pay attention, and academic achievement."

The threat caused by lead based paint and lead poisoning has been known for more than 100 years. Toddlers and children exposed to deteriorated, chipping, chalking or cracked lead based paint can easily put small fragments in their mouth without thinking and contract lead poisoning. A paint chip the size of a grain of rice can poison your child and change their life - and yours - forever.

Lead based paint was outlawed in the United States in 1978. In California, any rental property built prior to 1978 is presumed to have lead based paint. The standard of care demands that all landlords and management companies inspect their apartments and rental homes for deteriorating, peeling, chalking or cracking lead based paint.

If a landlord is aware of the presence of deteriorated lead based paint, they must take steps to remove the paint using construction methods that do not expose the tenant to harm. If they are aware of the presence of lead based paint at their rental properties, landlords and their management companies are also required to inform the tenant of the presence of lead based paint before the tenant signs a lease.

Unfortunately, many landlords and management companies do not care about their tenants and put profits over people. Many landlords have ignored their obligation under the law to protect the health and safety of their tenants and allow their tenants and children to live in degraded apartments with deteriorated lead based paint.

How Can You Tell If Your Child Has Been Exposed to Lead Based Paint or Has Lead Poisoning?

Lead poisoning is very common in toddlers and children - especially those who are crawling or teething. We all know that young children bite or chew on most everything. In many cases, children are exposed to lead based paint when they crawl on the floor, when they play next to windows, when they bite on window sills - even when they come in contact with paint dust you can barely see. Any exposure to deteriorated lead based paint can result in serious health problems that cannot be reversed. Do not let this happen to your children.

Lead has been referred to as the "invisible poison" and for good reason. When it comes to lead poisoning, the symptoms can be very difficult if not impossible to detect. In serious cases which threaten your child's life, your child may complain of a stomach ache or cramps. However, that is not the norm. In most cases, it is impossible to determine the cause of your child's problems. If your child is developing slowly, has problems concentrating, is not doing well in school, is in special education, has ADHD or is aggressive, he or she may have lead poisoning.

The only way to tell if your child has lead poisoning is to have your child's blood levels checked by your family doctor or pediatrician. Remember, there is no safe blood level. That means that your child's blood lead level should be 0 mcg/dl. If your child's blood lead level is above 5 mcg/dl, take action now.

What Are Some Of The Effects Of Lead Poisoning?

The most important thing to know about lead based paint and lead poisoning is that the effects of lead poisoning are, for the most part, irreversible. Exposure to lead based paint and resulting lead poisoning can result in cognitive deficits, lowered IQ, ADHD, aggression and other behavioral problems. Lead poisoning can result in long term physical problems including renal failure, heart problems, vision problems and greater incidence of dementia in old age. These are serious problems that can change your child's life. If lead poisoning was caused by the negligence of your landlord or someone else, take action against those responsible for those damages.

How Long Do You Have To Sue?

In general, adults with lead poisoning have two (2) years from the time they knew or should have known that they suffered from lead poisoning. Minor children have until they are 20 years old to sue for injuries they suffered when they were children. This is extremely important because your child may have been exposed to lead based and suffered lead poisoning years ago!

Talk To An Experienced Lawyer

At Riley Law Group, PC, we help people who have been exposed to lead based paint by their landlords or selfish corporations and individuals. Our attorney, Grant Riley, has represented thousands of tenants and has recovered millions on behalf of those who have been harmed by their landlords.

Find Out How We Can Help

If you feel that you or one of your loved ones has been exposed to lead based paint or has lead poisoning, call 888-495-9272 or send us an email to schedule a free consultation with our attorney. We represent renters throughout California with lead poisoning claims. Se habla español.