Protect Your Children From Lead Poisoning

If you have in the past or if you are currently renting a home or apartment built before 1978, there is a good chance that your home was covered in lead based paint. Lead paint is one of the most common sources of lead poisoning, but there are some steps that you can take to help protect you and your family from the dangerous effects of lead.

Was Or Is The Paint In Your Home Peeling or Cracking?

Any lead based paint is bad but deteriorating, peeling, chalking or cracking lead is especially dangerous. If you are or were exposed to deteriorated lead based paint, call your child's doctor or pediatrician. In all likelihood, your child had a blood test when he or she was around two (2) years old. Call your doctor and find out if the child's blood lead level was above 5 mcg/dl. And, most importantly, have your child's blood tested - again!

Keep An Eye On Your Kids

Kids are the ones who suffer the most from exposure to lead. A paint chip the size of a grain of rice is enough to cause permanent IQ loss, ADHD, learning problems, aggression and other serious health concerns.

Children who are teething are perhaps most at risk. Many children are just the right size to stand up and chew on window sills covered in deteriorated lead based paint or lead dust. Make sure to clean these areas with a wet cloth frequently, and keep your children out of the room when cleaning to prevent them from inhaling dust. You can also put furniture or other large items in front of lead sources to help your kids from being able to access potential lead sources.

Have Your Children Tested For Lead Poisoning

The symptoms of lead poisoning can vary significantly, depending upon the person's blood lead level. In some circumstances, there may not be any symptoms of illness at all, which makes it difficult to know if your child has been adversely affected. The only way to determine if your child has lead poisoning is to get a blood test.

The test will be able to determine the amount of lead in your child's blood and will help you understand the severity of the problem. If your child has an elevated blood lead level, you should take immediate action to ensure that conditions do not become worse.

Tell Your Landlord About The Problem

If you think your apartment or rental home was built before 1978 and you have deteriorated, peeling, chalking or cracking paint, tell your landlord and ask him if he has had your home tested for the presence of lead based paint. If he has, ask for the test results.

You can even purchase a lead paint test kit at any hardware store that can help you determine if lead paint has been used in your home. If you are renting your apartment or home, your landlord must disclose if lead is present. If this is not done, you may be able to file a lawsuit against your landlord for fraud or negligent misrepresentation.

These are just a few of the options are available to help you deal with the problem of lead based paint and lead poisoning. Many landlords will resist helping and will try to make it seem like you get in trouble if you complain but you have rights. It is up to you to take action to protect your family - and we can help.

How Long Do You Have To Sue?

In general, adults with lead poisoning have two (2) years from the time they knew or should have known that they suffered from lead poisoning. Minor children have until they are 20 years old to sue for injuries they suffered when they were children. This is extremely important because your child may have been exposed to lead based and suffered lead poisoning years ago!

Talk To An Experienced Lawyer

Grant Riley of Riley Law Group PC has over 30 years of litigation experience. He will fight for you to hold your landlord responsible for the deteriorated lead paint in your home or if you or your child has lead poisoning. Depending on the facts of your case, we can help you recover compensation for the injuries and illnesses that are connected to the lead exposure.

Find Out How We Can Help

If you feel that you or one of your loved ones has been exposed to lead based paint or has lead poisoning, call 888-495-9272 or send us an email to schedule a free consultation with our attorney. We represent renters throughout California with lead poisoning claims. Se habla español.