Approximately 24 million homes in the United States contain dangerous and highly toxic deteriorated lead-based paint. More than 500,000 children 1 to 5 years in age have elevated blood levels. Blood levels as low as 5 mcg/dL are sufficient to cause permanent cognitive, neurological, emotional and behavioral problems in young children. Toddlers 1 to 3 years old are particularly at risk because they play on the floor and put their hands, toys, books -- you name it -- in their mouth on a constant basis. That hand-to-mouth behavior can transfer lead dust and lead paint chips into a child's mouth in sufficient quantity to result in lead poisoning.