On behalf of Riley Law Group PC posted on Thursday, May 25, 2017.
About five miles from downtown Los Angeles, in the City of Vernon, there used to be a battery recycling plant, operated by Exide. The plant, which last operated in 2012, was closed by federal officials over a year ago due to concerns regarding the pollution of neighborhoods near the facility.
The California Department of Public Health analyzed blood test results of children that lived closed to the plant. It discovered that approximately 3.5 percent of children in this region had elevated blood lead levels, compared to only 2.4 percent of children who lived outside the area.
The results of the tests have led to concerns about the impact of the lead exposure to kids. The report indicated that there was a moderate risk of lead poisoning if children lived within a mile of the plant.
There is some question regarding the role of the Exide plant in the exposure of the children to lead. The facility is in a location where many of the homes may contain lead paint, but, officials are still examining the issue to determine exactly what is happening in the affected neighborhoods.
Signs of lead poisoning
As a parent, you need to know what to look for to determine if your child might be suffering from lead exposure. If your child is extra-irritable, seems to be always tired or has learning difficulties that you would not expect for a child his or her age, it is possible that they may have lead poisoning. You should see your doctor to determine if there are elevated lead levels present.
This is especially important if you live in a neighborhood close to the closed Exide plant. If they have high blood levels, you may have claims for compensation. You should speak to an experienced attorney to determine the options available to you.
Your attorney will review your situation in order to discover the possible sources of the lead exposure, and assist you with taking action to ensure that your child is protected from possible long-term effects caused by lead poisoning. It is important that you reach out as soon as possible, as the damages that may result from this exposure may not be reversible.